There are well over 200,000 car accidents annually in the State of Florida. Car accidents are often times extremely violent events that cause terrible injuries like bone fractures and back and neck injuries, and unfortunately sometimes even catastrophic, life changing injuries like traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and even death. Many times when someone is injured in a car accident they are left with tremendous medical bills and lost wages, in addition to significant pain and suffering and the loss of ability to enjoy life.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police and your attorney. Also, do not give any statements to any insurance companies, including your own, without first speaking to an attorney.
- Make sure the police are called, even if the accident and injuries seem minor. We find in many cases that injuries don’t become obvious until days or even weeks after the accident. It is very important that an accident report is completed by police.
- If you are able to, take pictures of the vehicles and accident scene. Many times pictures are not taken before the vehicles are moved and accident scene cleaned up. This is especially important in cases where it is disputed as to which driver was at fault or the severity of injuries.
- Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses. This is also important in cases where liability and the severity of injuries is in dispute.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible after the accident. If an ambulance is on scene, report any injuries however minor they may seem. Under Florida law an accident victim must seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident in order to be covered under their own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance.
- Call Phillips Law Firm immediately. There are several other “do’s and don’ts” to be careful of which, if not followed, can hurt your case.
Auto accident attorney Darrin M. Phillips has been protecting the rights of car accident victims in Collier County and Southwest Florida for over 25 years. He is skilled in analyzing the many complex factors in your case and developing the proper theories of liability given your unique set of facts. He also has many years of expertise in dealing with the insurance companies and defense attorneys who will try to defend or deny your claim, and is prepared to take every step necessary to get you the recovery that you’re entitled to under the law, including presenting your case to a jury if necessary.
Call Collier County auto accident attorney Darrin M. Phillips for a free consultation about your case. If we accept your case, you pay us no fee unless we win. (239) 262 4180